The objectives of the Rio Grande Valley Osteopathic Dermatology Residency Program are to:
- Provide training which integrates basic medical sciences with clinical medicine in an orderly, progressive, and academic manner from the Rio Grande Valley Osteopathic Dermatology Residency Training Sites. All full time clinical faculty of the Rio Grande Valley Osteopathic Dermatology Residency Program are actively involved in training residents.
- Provide training which integrates the seven core competencies of osteopathic medicine (see appendix 1).
- Provide the resident with progressive responsibilities, commencing with general medicine skills and progressing to complete care of patients in need of dermatologic care.
- Develop the teaching skills of Dermatology residents.
- Develop medical ethics and interpersonal skills.
- Develop an interest in and understanding of research in Dermatology.
- Develop professional leadership and management skills.
- Provide learning experiences based on measurable objectives for the education of residents during a three-year residency program.
- Prepare the resident to meet certification requirements of the AOA through the American Osteopathic Board of Dermatology.